Monday, January 23, 2012

Year of Change

English: Yellow banner depicting a blue dragon.
Image via Wikipedia
Today is the Chinese Lunar New Year, ushering the most popular of the 12 cyclical years in the Chinese Lunar calendar - the Year of the Dragon.

For the Chinese, this is probably the most important and most auspicious year - usually portending significant changes in their lives and the fate of their society.

For me, this Year of the Dragon is similarly significant but hopefully not ominous of anything untoward that might happen, but of something that is better and more life fulfilling journey into another work realm.

It is in this year that I am changing into a different role in my job in my current firm as well as moving into another country - Spain.

I have mixed feelings of excitement as well as nervousness - that I have not felt in a long while. Though I feel it should be natural given the new environment, the new faces and personalities, I can't help but be unnerved just imagining what would work and life be in this new beginning.

It is indeed a new beginning as I feel that that I have to start from scratch again. It's a new group that I will be working with, and though within the same company - it is a completely different play for me in terms of what I am positioned to do. From managing quite a number of subordinates and projects these past years, I am back to being on my own and purely operating as an advisor rather than a manager.

If I list down all the things that make me nervous - egos and new superiors are at the top of list of my concerns. It is typically the most and difficult to manage especially if you are joining a new group. Not to mention, I am the only Asian in the group. But then again, as they say, I will never have control over these as I have never have even in my current group - so no use fretting over it. However, experience with familiar egos and superiors make it easier to manage. In my new assignment, I am not familiar at all with any.

Let me see if the I Ching has something to say on this. It has been awhile since I consulted that ancient Chinese Book of Changes.


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment