Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Why not write about telecom and banking stuff?

A friend once asked me. Why don't you write about telecom and banking stuff in your blog? With the years of experience i have in these domains, the projects and markets i have been exposed to, and clients i have worked with, there is so much to write about. I agree, and may be i can say as much.

For a moment, I wondered why. But i guess the reason is that i don't need and feel like adding to the clutter of intellectual stuff out there already about telecom and banking. I am not out to say any new stuff anyway as I feel i will just be regurgitating similar thoughts that are already being discussed in blogs like technorati, bobstumpel.blogspot, and mashable. For these things I want to be the reader, not the writer. I am not going to learn more by writing more about what i already know.

When I started writing blogs in 2006, using my friendster blog Normandy Chronicles, all i wanted is to write about my thoughts, feelings, and personal experiences, more like as I would in a diary or journal. Then, I extremely missed my collegiate days when i used to write a lot about anything and everything any curious student of my time was probably wondering about. I wanted that peace and freedom to write about these things, when i created my first blog.

I still wanted that freedom now. I don't want to write so as to invite dialogue or a discussion on a telecom or banking innovation or about a new way of engaging customers. I can do that in the course of my consulting profession, but someone needs to pay for my time. I want to write in this blog, because its simply an expression of what i feel, and I don't need anyone to react.

One might say that, why then do you write in a public domain like the web and a blogsite for that matter, where people can and might read it, and hence, react? I have no issue with people reacting. It's not just the intention in the first place. Why don't I write in a private diary or journal? Its convenient for me. It's in the web and if ever I need to share it with somebody, i can do so with ease.

However, there are limitations. I can't write so much about private things which might compromise me or anyone else i might be writing about. I actually can but I may not, because i also don't want to solicit unnecessary reactions or comments and exposed myself to an extent that anyone can use stuff against me.

In sum, I just want to write because I want a medium for a one way personal expression. Nothing else. If you want to know what I know about telecom and banking, email or call me. Maybe we can discuss and I can share with you the things that I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment